The following resources are available for you to download, adapt, and use with your teams. Enjoy, and as you create your own materials, please email them to us so we can share them with the BAUDL community. Plus: get the Program Calendar for 2012-2013 here!
Pedagogy: Activities and resources for team practices
- Institute activities list – a collection of our favorite debate games and exercises; highly recommended for use with your debate team.
- Sample Flow activities pack – geared toward giving students a feel for the full development and interplay of arguments over the course of a debate round. A sample flow is attached.
- Mixed-experience activities pack – four activities and general principles to help you deal with a wide range of skills and experiences among the members of your debate team. Make sure to download the bingo sheet along with it.
- Guide for silent debates – resources for silent debates, an excellent activity that helps student connects speaking skills to organized written argumentation. From esteemed EXCEL coach Sebastian Castrechini.
- November activities pack – four activities; two to help with powerful and emphatic speech, and two to help with organizing evidence and incorporating it into speeches.
- Evidence checklist – a resource for you and your students to use in assessing their readiness to debate for the tournament to come.
- Introduction to policy debate – a five-page rundown of the structure and basic strategy of policy debate, drawng heavily from our partner league in Baltimore.
- Recruiting tips – a great one-page collection of advice on recruiting, invaluable as you make plans to increase or maintain the size of your team.
- Attendance template – use this to keep track of attendance at debate meetings; make sure to share this with the league director on a regular basis.
- Media release – make your students famous! Have them sign this and return it to you so we can feature them on the web site and a whole lot more.
- Oakland Field Trip Permission Slip – use this form to ensure that your students who wish to attend an out-of-district tournament in San Francisco will be able to do so!
Check back soon; this page will be updated regularly as more resources roll in.